Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ghosts of Berlin...

Although this should have been posted two weeks ago, I wanted to finish reading the entire book before I decided to reflect on it.  While the beginning of the book started a bit slow and had a very "history book" feel to it's writing style, I was soon able to look past it and truly sink my teeth into the story it was trying to convey.  The ghosts that it refers to in the title of the novel I have come to interpret as the the mindset that is only now, 25 years after the walls falling, beginning to change.  Berlin's troubled past was something that I originally didn't know much about or have a particular interest but the one part of the book that really started to catch my interest was when they referred to the different smells on different sides of the wall.  Since smells have the strongest ties to memory, I think that it is a very interesting idea that if someone who lived on the east side of the wall were to smell a specific thing it would immediately bring back those strong memories of a different time.  I thought the book was very interesting as well as extremely informative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment