Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Immigration

Today we saw a wide array of images at the immigration offices but the specific image that I would like to capitalize on is the image I saw in the New York City students’ art. I noticed when looking at the long winding trail lots of maps and postcards. The maps had marks on them and the postcards had addresses and notes to loved ones. This image made me feel a bit sad at first. What was going through the minds of the hundreds of people that sit in these seats for hours, waiting for their turn for maybe a second chance at life, or maybe for a chance to explore a new world for their own, what was on their minds when they saw these saw images that I see now? The art itself is kind of like the long and winding road that took these people on a journey to where they sit now and stare…waiting. This reminds of me of my mothers struggle to become a US citizen and the hardships she endured, the lines she waited in, the customs she was forced to learn and adapt.

On the wall to the side of the large art piece I have been describing was a framed photo of all the flags from the different countries that immigrates has come from into Berlin, Germany. While the American flag wasn’t present I was still jolted to life seeing all of these different countries, thinking of the reasons that some of these people might have fled. Persecution? Freedom? Justice? Opportunity? Family? The reasons are endless and it would be impossible to put all of people’s different struggles into a box. But just seeing this illustration of different worlds, cultures and beliefs all represented together, coming through this same room with millions of excuses to why is incredible. I find it truly fascinating and oddly uniting. One office that provides the same chance to these unique situations, it is something uncommon in the world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment