Saturday, August 8, 2009

No More Walls, No More Wars, One United World

The walking of the wall and the Soviet Union memorial are almost impossible to describe. Starting our day walking to wall was like walking through the minds of other people. We started with a mock enthusiasm as being foreigners at such a monumental place. But as we continued our walk my mind was completely consumed in what I was seeing. I was no longer aware of my classmates or the other people on the streets or even the bike lane near by. The art owned my mind for those moments that I walked along history. Each piece had such a profound meaning and such an individual perspective on not all the problems of the time but on the world as a whole. I saw quotes such as my title as well as “don’t hate things, change them,” all with obvious connections to the communism that separated an entire city. Beyond the art I thought often about the general idea of a wall being built to separate right and wrong, communist VS free but also people from people. I can’t even begin to imagine what it would be like if that were to happen in Seattle, what would I do? What would my family and friends do? And how incredibly did the people of Berlin survive through this diversity?

The Soviet Union memorial was different for me then for most people I am guessing. I found it beautiful, which was simply a fact of the eyes, but I also found it very sad. The death of lives is always sad, sad for those men that died for what they “thought” to be right. But should I mourn the lives of communist? Of people who tortured and judged other unfairly? I might be ignorant to the entire concept but I found myself untouched my emotions other then how unfair it all seemed. Why does America not have such a grand memorial for our freedom fighting soldiers?

Today was emotional…

No comments:

Post a Comment