Saturday, August 8, 2009

Underneath Berlin

Today was by far the longest day of all. The bunkers were an amazing sight to see and were in amazing condition for how long ago everything occurred. The story that shocked me the most was when our tour guide explained the positives and negatives to bathroom stalls. I can’t imagine what these poor women went through. The short moments when they finally were able to get privacy, to have a moment of peace was then perverted by the soviet guards. The pain and fear that they lived in scares me to my bones and remind me of the blessings I have in America, a free country.

The Jewish Berlin past and present museum was another museum that I wish I could have had a bit more time in. It would have been incredible to experience it in its entirety, winding through the misshapen rooms, the odd lighting and modern movement was thrilling. The architecture of the building was something that I had never experienced before. Similarly the garden of exile reminded me of the feelings I had when venturing into the holocaust memorial in the center of Berlin. The lost, lonely and slightly depressing emotions that run through you when you seem to be struggling to leave but desperate to stay amongst those you know, it was quite an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment